I appreciate your Feedback. To leave a comment, click on title of post.

May 27, 2010

I Have an Idea!

Even with only 5 posts so far, you may have begun to suspect that I'm all talk but no action. It's true! Where is my needlewoven bluebird that I wrote so optimistically about in my first post? Still on the drawing board.

Ideas have always seemed to come to me when I don't have time to begin work on them (as in the middle of the night). That glimmer of an idea may fade away before I get around to starting a project. I know there are too many ideas to use, but I still don't want to lose them.

Recently I took a workshop with a local artist, in part to learn methods for conducting workshops myself, which I planned to do. The artist worked in a different medium than I did, but I figured teaching techniques were universal. I learned many things, both about collage (her medium) and instruction.

I learned one way to save my project ideas to use later. She had captured inspirations on an Idea Board, a large bulletin board covered with photos, fabric swatches and paper scraps, pinned together in appealing color combinations and arrangements. Future projects were represented by sketches and material samples, posted there as reminders of her original inspirations. It was a work of art in itself.

True to form, I did get a bulletin board—but there it sits leaning against a bookcase (my wall space is very limited). I also purchased a peacock feather to place on the board. It's a motif that I'd like to use in a necklace design (someday). Even though my Idea Board hasn't really gotten off the ground yet, it's still serving its purpose. When I see it I'm reminded of Dixie's Idea Board and the class I attended.

I believe that thoughts are circular, and even though I may never get around to following up on an idea, another will come along, perhaps at a time when the 'stars' of materials, motivation and time are all in alignment. Meantime, my idea board will hold those thoughts.



To see Dixie's work visit ferrergallery.com.

No comments: